For those who read my last blog post you'll remember this quilt Delphiniums by Brenda Gael Smith. 

For the past year Brenda has embraced a weekly art project producing beautiful textile sketches. These small quilts have been inspired by botanicals, birds and the area she lives in on the Central coast of NSW called Copacabana. (It's same name but a different place from the famous Barry Manilow song, just in case anyone was wondering, or maybe no one remembers Barry Manilow anymore? )

Watching out for these works each week has been a highlight of my instagram feed. I'm always amazed at how Brenda manages to capture the essence of her subjects so perfectly in seemingly simple shapes.  
I love too how the stitching lines add a wonderful texture. They become a fascination in themselves. You can tell I'm a fan. Here are a few examples so you can see what I mean. 

Sea Grass

Crimson Rosella

Water's Edge. 




So with my fascination with these works I'm excited to announce that all of Brenda's 52 textile sketches will be on show in an upcoming exhibition called Copa Abstractions. There will also be larger works that haven't been displayed before. 
Did you see who's doing the opening? Why Yes, it's me!! I fell off my chair when Brenda asked me. Then there was some happy dancing here in the mountains and also Copacabana. 

With such an honour bestowed upon me Mr Daisy and I drove up to have a look at the Gosford Regional Gallery. 

We were very impressed with the large gallery spaces! Brenda's exhibition will be one of three exhibitions on at the same time. The others are a Brett Whitely exhibition and a Russell Drysdale exhibition. That's certainly illustrious company. 

The cafe was serving delicious meals. We gobbled up delicious muffins,  Mr Daisy said his coffee was excellent, I'm a happy tea drinker myself. 

But wait, there's more!! 

The gallery is set amongst the most wonderful Japanese gardens. 


I went a little crazy taking photos, but everywhere I looked there were beautiful scenes so I couldn't help myself.


As we wandered the paths there was the sound of trickling water from the waterfalls and ponds.



Bridges to cross... 

It was so peaceful watching the koi glide through the water. They have such a variety colours and markings.





We came across a raked garden.


The lines remind me of the stitched lines...


of Brenda's artworks, as you can see in this elegant pelican, 


who looked a lot like this handsome fellow I photographed a little later in the day. 

So put the dates in your diary,  Plan a day trip or a even a weekend in coastal Gosford. 
Come to the opening on the 13th January,  it's sure to be wonderful. 
or visit the exhibition from the 13th January until the 14th February. 

Brenda is also giving a lecture called "Driven to Abstraction" on Tuesday 23rd January. This is a lecture she has given internationally. I'll be there for that one.  

To find out more about Brenda Gael Smith here are the handy links:

Visit Brenda's website here to see more of her work. 

Visit her blog called Serendipity and the art of the quilt to read about her adventures in quilting and her travels as a teacher, exhibition curator, lecturer, quilter and artist.

Follow her on instagram @brendagaelsmith