It's been a sad week in Daisyland. Late last week Mr Daisy's father passed away peacefully. Brian was a lovely, kind, man who was ready to laugh and always made the most of life. He touched many peoples lives and will be remembered with much love by many people. I could go on and write a million other wonderful things about Brian but I thought I'd keep it simple and share a post from the past. The photos and words are about a quilt but for Mr Daisy and I it brings back wonderful memories of a fun day out with with his parents, Joan and Brian, and their willingness to join in an adventure. It was a day of smiles.

Waltzing Matilda


Here it is... the grand unveiling of my finished Waltzing Matilda quilt!!
The front is made entirely of two of my most favourite fabrics, Nuala and Matilda, both by Jennifer Paganelli of Sis Boom in different colour ways, from ranges released a few years apart. Everyone knows I love Jennifer's beautiful rich, bright colours. Creating gorgeous toile patterned fabrics in these fabulous colours is brilliant in my humble opinion!
I was limited with the design because I only had fat quarters of some of the fabrics and didn't want to waste even a corner by doing any curved piecing, so that left squares or triangles. I'd just received a big book of quilt block designs and I'd have to say I must have been influenced because it does look like one big giant block. The design wasn't thought out before hand. I like to play with ideas in my sewing room, I stick a bit of fabric on the design wall, see what happens and let the quilt grow from there.
At 96 by 96 inches the quilt was way too huge for me to comfortably quilt myself and I’m lucky enough to know the best longarm quilter, Tanya Croft. The pattern she chose for this quilt couldn’t be more perfect. It echoes the fabric patterns with free flowing, beautiful, botanical lines.
The backing is also made up of Sis Boom fabrics,  Ann Flower Mural in the green and brown colour ways. I just can’t get enough of a good thing!


 Have you ever noticed that some quilts are suited to being flat so you can enjoy the whole design whereas other quilts are fun to scrunch up and get cosy in. This is one of those quilts that no matter how the quilt is folded or flipped around it still looks good. I love this quilt any way it falls, messed up, upside down, back to front or nice and smooth on my bed, I guess it’s a result of using favourite fabrics and such pretty ones..
I had some help styling the photos. Mr Daisy’s parents were visiting recently so when we went to show them some local sites I took Waltzing Matilda along.They really got into the spirit of coming up with ideas for photos and climbing through bush and over rocks to get help get the best shots.

Huge Thanks to Joan and Brian!!! And Mr Daisy of course!!!
Father and son, the best quilt wranglers!
As for the title...For those of you that don’t know - The song Waltzing Matilda is so very Australian, an unofficial National Anthem. Seeing as the fabric is called Matilda, the quilt just had to be Waltzing Matilda

Farewell Brian Dodd, August 1939 - June 2020. 


I'll sign off with a heart and a reminder that every day is a precious gift.

13 Comments

  1. So very sorry for your loss. It's wonderful to remember that sunny day together. Yes each day with loved ones is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Rachael, I'm very sorry for this loss.... I'm sending you and your dear hubby many hugs....

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry for your loss lovely family photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry to read about your loss, Rachael....You have lovely memories to treasure,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad, but lovely memories Rachael. Love the quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry about your loss. Gentle hugs from Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Rachael - I'm so sorry for you and your family. He looks like a lovely man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When he shall die,
    Take him and cut him out in little stars,
    And he will make the face of heaven so fine
    that all the world will be in love with night
    And pay no worship to the garish sun. W. Shakespeare
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear the sad news Rachael, lots of memories for you with those photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is sad news. I am pleased you have some special memories to treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I am so sorry to hear this. My heart goes out to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to hear your sad news. Thanks for sharing such lovely memories. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. May you find comfort in your cherished memories. My thoughts are with you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving me a comment. Your kind words encourage me to keep sharing my work and stories.