Sunday, July 14, 2013

Making Little Swoon Houses



Well, here we go , a tutorial of sorts on how to make a Sunny Day in Swoon Town quilt. A big thanks to Pat Sloan and all the lovely people who have said such wonderful things about my little quilt. 


My little quilt is based on the fabulous Swoon quilt designed by Camille Roskelley. It is not my pattern so I can't show you how to make the whole block but I can share how I made the little houses and incorporated them into the block. I did change the block slightly to fit the houses in but if you wanted to make the proper Swoon blocks Camille's way is much easier and better!

I should add the Swoon pattern lends itslf to all styles of fabrics and colours. There's a zillion great examples in Swoon along at flickr. All in all it's just one of those great patterns. 


There are probably a zillion ways to sew half triangles onto squares and make Flying Geese blocks and they're all probably better than my methods but this is how I went about making my little houses,  I'm just showing the way I went about it.



Lets start with the corner houses...


Pick out 1x house square (6.5in)  and 1xgreen (3.5in) green shrub square. 


Draw a line diagonally across the green shrub square on the wrong side of the fabric


Place the green shrub square onto the house square 


 and sew right next to the line on the side closest to the corner. Sewing next to the line will compensate for the tiny bit of fabric that will get lost when the fabric is folded over.



Fold the green shrub square over to create a triangle corner on the square. 


Cut away the excess at the back to reduce bulk.


and do the same thing on the opposite side.



 Attach a roof square in the same way.


Cut out little squares and rectangle door shapes. I simply placed them in position to create a cute house look. Make sure the door rectangle is placed a little lower so it get sewn into the seam when sewing the bottom fabric on. 


Theses pieces are so small I didn't use glue or fusible webbing. I simply popped them on and sewed in a sketchy way close to the edge of the shapes. If you wanted a neater look you could zig zag stitch around the shapes or even piece the windows and door in the house square. I went for a quick easy option and I like the look. 


Now you can sew the bottom square on. 


Next up are the rectangle houses.

Grab a rectangle (6.5 x 3.5in) and some window squares and a door

And make them look like your dream house.

For the roof make a flying geese block that finishes at 6.5in. This is how I made mine...
Get 1 rectangle roof fabric (6.5in) and a cloud square (3.5in) and attach by sewing diagonally across the cloud fabric.


Fold over and trim.

and repeat on the other side.

 Sew the roof to the house and now you have a happy home.

The green shrubs in between the houses are finished off with half square triangles.

Assemble the bits...


...and voila! Sunny Day in Swoon Town!!


I like this one even better than my first one but it's silly having two so give me a couple of weeks to get this one quilted and bound and then I'll have a giveaway. I'm sure this little Swoon Town would brighten up someone's wall. 



Here are some handy links:-
Thanks Pat for putting my little quilt in the spotlight :)


47 comments:

Chris said...

I'm swooning over your great tutorial!
Watch out girl you'll be on you tube next.
Well done Rachael

Kathie said...

OMG I would just love that one block as a little quilt on my wall of little quilts
it would make me smile everyday for sure!
it is BEYOND CUTE!!!!!
I LOVE that you made the little houses and that blue cloud fabric just so fun. YOur quilts always just make me smile.

thanks for the tutorial

Kathie

Heather said...

Just so cute. Love the cloud fabric and the sun in the center is perfect!

Shakey Stitches said...

It is too cute. Thanks for sharing the tutorial.
Im looking forward to the giveaway .

Patchwork and Play said...

The sun would always be shining in this Swoon-town block or mini! A quick question- the rectangular house is 6.5 inches wide, but how deep do you cut this piece? Thanks... Suz

Katy Cameron said...

Very cute :o)

Allie said...

This is a stunner - love it so much, thanks for the tute!

Deborah said...

This is just brilliant! Thanks so much.

Sasha said...

This is so wonderful! I love your Swoon Town block! I can't wait for the giveaway!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to make a little tutorial for us =D

smazoochie said...

Such a jolly little village!
There may be another Swoon block in my future. Great tute, too!

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

What a great tutorial for a very fun block....Vi love Swoon Town!

feelincrafty said...

I love the little fussy cuts in the doors!

Stacey said...

Really love this idea, and you cant go wrong with those Heather Bailey fabrics :)

audrey said...

Great tutorial! Really appreciate the tip to sew ALONG side the drawn line. Why haven't I heard that one before?:) Your center flower fabric is fabulous--another great job putting it together!

Mary said...

Swooning here too! Fun, fabulous houses in swoon town. Thanks so much for sharing rachael!

Mary said...

Swooning here too! Fun, fabulous houses in swoon town. Thanks so much for sharing rachael!

Anita said...

Love it! Thanks for the tutorial :)

Janine C said...

I love it but unlike you, the cloud directions would drive me mad - I'd have to match the clouds up but otherwise it's beautiful. I think it would be a great lap quilt for kids.

Tamie said...

Thanks for sharing how you did this. I might have to give it a try. It is so cute.

Sew Surprising said...

Your talents knows no bounds Ms BMD ;) Great tutorial and love the bright houses :)

Lynne Shandley said...

Golly, that tute has me tempted! It looks so cute and not very hard at all!

Barb said...

what a fun way start my day. It is great to see your process and how you pull those fun fabrics together.
That gold and red is one of my favorite combinations.
Love those clouds too :)
xx

Karen said...

Great tutorial. So good and easy to follow. These houses are so great in the block. What a wonderful town!

quilary said...

That is just so gorgeous and thanks for the great tutorial!

Mary Ann said...

This is totally yours and belongs in a magazine or book of your own!!

Jess @ The Elven Garden said...

This is so clever! Such a brilliant way to change up swoon blocks.

Pam said...

Thank you so much for the tutorial. This is going to be a favorite block of mine forever I believe. So, so sweet!

Vickie said...

You are brilliant ! There will be a new Swoon Town along. I made a swoon quilt last year, have not quilted it yet. Blessings !

Pauline said...

Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial. You are most generous!

Camille said...

Love this so much! I think I need to make one of these for my sewing room, don't you think? :-) You are so clever!

Jacklynn said...

Thanks for sharing your tutorial - it is so cute! I have this pattern and have really been wanting to make a wall hanging. By the way - Kate Spain's new line Sunnyside has some awesome cloud and rain prints for the sky background - can't wait for the yardage to come out!!!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

That is so darn cute, I love the sun in the middle!
Your tutorial was excellent and I will have to keep it in mind. I have the swoon pattern and really want to make it.

Shay said...

Gorgeous! And a fabulous tutorial for those of us like me who are challenged and can never work out how these things are put together!

Mary Jane said...

Thank you!!!!

Robin Sheaffer said...

Oh, that is awesome! I just bought the pattern and, along with your tute, I am definitely making a block in Christmas fabric! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!!!

needleandspindle said...

This is a great tutorial. Clear, simple and inspiring. Even a knitter could give this a go! I do love quilts with houses and villages. They make funny little maps like book illustrations from children's stories.

Terry said...

It is always a sunny day when YOU play. Love the trip to Swoon Town

Julie Cefalu said...

How clever! I love it and I'm pinning it. Thanks for sharing your method!
Julie @ The Crafty Quilter

Nony said...

I know you already have a tonne of comments but I thought I'd just add one to thank you not only for having this idea, but for sharing it! I love that people are so generous with their ideas :)

Can't wait to do one... I feel a bit excited. Shame that (of course) I have 9000 other things on the go...

CATHY DANIEL said...

Great tutorial but I won't be making it out of fabric - however, it HAS given me an idea for a ceramic bowl and I may do it this weekend! xCathy

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

This is a great tutorial! I never thought of sewing next to the line. That makes so much sense and several times my triangles are a smidge too small to square up perfectly. Thanks for the tip. I love all the fabrics how they are so bright and cheery and colorful. And how you so unceremoniously use Katie Jump Rope fabric for a tutorial...I would be hoarding it forever:)

Marie said...

How fun are these - your fussy cuts are great. Thanks for the great tutorial too.

Melody said...

Amazing, wonderful, fabulous. If I could think of a better adjective I'd use it.

Staci said...

So clever! And oh, so cute! Brilliant!

Jeneta said...

Oh I desperately want to make one of these!!

Robin said...

Rachel, I made my Christmas Village Swoon! I posted it over on my blog if you want to have a look...http://robinsfabricnest.blogspot.com/2013/08/ho-ho-ho-blog-hopmy-turn.html It is getting rave reviews so thanks so much for posting this tutorial! You might be getting some extra visits today because I added a link to your blog!

Fran said...

Such a fabulous block!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...