Sunday, November 18, 2012

A Few More Hexagons

I must say I was amazed at huge response and wonderful comments about my hexagons!!  shucks - thanks everyone!!

I thought I'd do a post with a few random notes about my blocks.


I'm not using a pattern for this quilt. My main inspiration was Mary of Molly Flanders and her wonderful big hexagon blocks. It was around the time she was making hers when I was sorting through my boxes of Sis Boom fabric and had one of those light bulb moments, I just knew I had to make some. Given the large scale of some of the Sis Boom prints it just seemed to make sense to leave the centers as solid feature fabrics.

As for fussy cutting  I've been a big admirer of Melody from House on the Side of the Hill's Wednesday Hexagon posts. She has shown me that hexagons and fussy cutting go hand in hand.

I've also seen hexagon blocks with feature prints on the Material Obsession blog. Brigitte Giblin's has a quilt with diamond shaped hexagon blocks, using lots of fabulous fussy cutting and gorgeous fabrics.


I'm using 1 inch hexagons. Once I choose my fabric combination I make a "ring" of the first row of hexagons. I lay that over the feature fabric and move it around till the feature pattern is where I want it. Pin it down and simply applique the hexagon ring down. Then it's just a matter of adding the 2nd ring of hexagons. Easy peasy!
Fussy cutting is much easier with my super template from Want it, Need it, Quilt it. And paper clips are brilliant for keeping the fabric in place when I'm basting. I don't use glue, I don't have anything against it, I just find it's as easy and enjoyable to sew the fabric around the papers.

 To try out a fussy patterns without cutting precious fabric you can draw the design onto your hexagon papers and play around with those.
I still haven't decided on the final layout for the quilt. I try a different setting every few days. I am such a ditherer when it comes to these decisions, in fact it's a wonder that I ever finish any quilts. :) In the meantime I'll keep sewing some more blocks.


29 comments:

Karen said...

I do enjoy seeing the fabrics and how you are using them. Great explanation of how you work.
Lots of inspiration.

Debra said...

they are truly beauteous ;-)

Béa said...

Thank you for sharing your explanations . Fabulous hexies !

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Oh Rachael your hexies are so happy and colourful...but then again all your work is like that...an absolute pleasure to look at!

Quiltjane said...

Thanks for telling us about your beautiful hexie masterpieces and thanks for the mention x

Marg said...

All your blocks are beautiful Rachael. I might have to get one of those templates, they would be very helpful for when I start fussy cutting my hexes. Thanks for the tip.

Chris said...

They are looking wonderful. See you soon

melissa said...

Each one of your hexy blocks is just stunning! They will make one amazing looking quilt! x

Patchwork and Play said...

This is going to be one stunning quilt! How many blocks do you have now?

ginaquilts said...

I'm glad you posted your process. I love the blocks so far and await further progress

Katy Cameron said...

Heh, I was doing a little EPP at my gran's yesterday and she asked if I was making a quilt with it. I said, 'No, that way insanity lies...' so you'll have to let me know with that ;o) It's going to look great though!

Deborah said...

Thanks so much for showing us the process you use. I, for one was very interested! When this quilt is finished it will be a true masterpiece!

Melissa P said...

Dithering or not, please keep sewing these! They're so inspiring. It's making me very happy to see how much everyone loves them.

Grit said...

Wow, your hexagons are so wonderful.
Liebe Grüße Grit

regan said...

So gorgeous! As soon as I finish the hexie quilt I'm doing.....I'm starting one like this! You've inspired me to finally cut into my toile collection for the centers! :o) Thanks a bunch!

smazoochie said...

So DELISH!!!

Nifty Quilts said...

My goodness! I just gasp every time I see your hexagon blocks. Your combinations and arrangements are really YOU. I know this quilt will be a show stopper!

Shay said...

I love that you fussy cut all your blocks Rachael. This quilt is going to be utterly beautiful and so interesting to look at when you're done.

Your hexies are mini works of art in their own right!

Barb said...

It was wonderful to read about your process! I never thought of using paper clips - your brilliant!
These blocks are beauties - Love the pink and cheddar with bird - wee

Heather said...

Thanks so much for letting us in on your process. I love, love, love these blocks and your fussy cutting is the best!

quiltsomore said...

Hi
It gets even YUMMIER!

Mary said...

The paper clips are brilliant! This quilt will be amazing Rachael!

Kelly said...

This quilt is gong to be an absolute stunner!

Terry said...

More beautiful boquets. The hexies are truly beautiful.

audrey said...

fabulous work!

Stacey said...

Sew very beautiful :) How many more will you do?

Janet said...

I adore your hexagons, what a fantabulous quilt this will be. I can tell you're loving the process, thanks for the inspiration.

Colette said...

Wow these are beautiful, what a great idea! They will look stunning when together. x

Kathie said...

just beautiful I am loving the look of these blocks, this will be an amazing quilt
oh you know which one I love and it would make an aodrable little quilt
yup cheddar and pink just send that one to me!
great post, love the paper clip tip
I always am in awe when I see these posted on Kathy's blog, Material Obsession...
Kathie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...