Friday, June 22, 2012

Friendly Friday - Chris Jurd - Patchwork Fundamentals

Everyone knows I love Chris Jurd, She's an awe inspiring quilter, a very patient teacher with lots of tips and tricks up her sleeve and a fun friend. She's actually the reason I started a blog. I wanted to leave comments on her blog, Patchwork Fundamentals and I was trying to figure out how, so I pushed a few buttons, clicked on a few options and before I knew it I had my own blog.


Hi Chris , tell us a bit about yourself?
I am a full-time quilt maker, pattern designer and teacher living in the Blue Mountains outside Sydney.
Twice married with two adult children and have just become a grandmother for the first time.

How long have you been quilting?
I’ve been quilting since my son was a baby and he’s now nearly 30. I started in the early 80s before rotary
cutters came to Australia. We ruled lines and cut with scissors! Seems hard to believe doesn’t it?


What enticed you to start quilting?
As a stay-at-home mum I looked on it as a way to make some money while at home with the kids. After that
I was hooked. I made the obligatory sampler quilt then branched out into other designs.


What do you love about quilting?
All the beautiful fabric available and how you can use it make something so usable. I like the whole process
from cutting the fabric to quilting the quilt.

Is there any part of the process that you don't like?
Not really. Piecing is the design coming together and the quilting is what enhances all your hard work.


Do you have a favourite sewing saying or motto?
I tell my students – “Finished is better than perfect”. Don’t stress too much – it’s supposed to be fun!

What model sewing machine do you use?
I have a Bernina 150 which is 12 years old. Still going well and it gets quite a workout.


Do you listen to music while you sew? What is your favourite type or cd?
I usually have the radio on in the house – Triple J is my station.

What is your favourite food?
I have a real weakness for cake or a biscuit with my cuppa. Closely followed by a glass of wine or three
every evening. Seafood/Asian would be my menu choice.


Do you have any furry friends that keep you company while you sew?
Sadly my beautiful cat Floss died a couple of years ago. I’d love another but I’m not home that often to look
after one – maybe when I retire.

Tell us about the house block you've made?
I found the pattern which I enlarged in an old Quilters Newsletter magazine and kept a copy because I
thought it was so cute and different. Unfortunately I can’t find the mag now or I would be able to credit the
great designer. It was a bit complicated to sew but the result is worth it. It is foundation pieced as are most
things I sew these days.
Thanks Rachael for the opportunity to waffle on about myself.


No, Thank YOU Chris, and thank you for your most awesome house!! I've never seen one like it!

Pop over and visit Patchwork Fundamentals to see what Chris has been up to. Her blog is always full of fabulous eye candy! If you are tempted to make one of her quilts she has an etsy shop called Patchwork Fun.

Just as a teaser, next week's house block includes bathing suits... tune in to find out how that is possible!




22 comments:

Sew Surprising said...

I love reading about everyone and then the big reveal at the end :) gosh those quilts are incredible, and the house block is so much fun, your quilt look amazing BMD :)

Patchwork and Play said...

That house MUST take pride of place in the centre of the neighbourhood! It's fabulous! Chris' work is amazing! Are your bathing beauties outside a bathing box?!

Chris said...

Gosh Rachael what a great post!
Thanks so much for the chance to talk about my quilty life.
Glad you liked the little "house on the hill". Can't wait to see the finished masterpiece.

Karen said...

Awesome block! I can't to see how you fit that one in. Great job with the interviews. I love checking my Google Reader on Fridays.

Heather said...

How fun is that little house! I love Chris Jurd's work and it was so fun to read about her.

Sasha said...

Chris' quilts are beautiful!!! I love her house block =D It looks like a little house on a hill!!!

Pinkadot Quilts said...

Chris does amazing work. I went over to her blog and was just happy to see all her beautiful projects. I can see how you were inspired by her!

Heidi said...

isn't this the cutest house ! Wonderful ! Love the quilts. The New York Beauty really is a beauty !
Rachael, your fridays are fun :-)

Deborah said...

What an amazing quilter. Thanks so much for this wonderful feature!

Melissa P said...

Chris's work is so inspirational. And I'm so grateful to her for pulling you into blogland!

This house block is fantastic. I love the twist of it being set on point. This is going to be one fabulous neighborhood of house blocks!

Nifty Quilts said...

Thank you for introducing another very talented quilt maker. I had not known of her before this. I'm off to look up her blog right now!

Katy Cameron said...

Such fabulous work, I particularly love the circular ones

Mary said...

What a great interview with Chris! I love her work and I think it is so great that you know Chris personally. You are so fortunate to be able to take advantage of learning opportunities with Chris. Thanks again for a great post, Rachael!

Shay said...

All of Chris's quilts are just beautiful. Her talent is amazing.

That block is da bomb Rach !

Marg said...

Oh wow I love Chris's quilts and that house block is amazing. You lucky thing.

smazoochie said...

WOW! What an amazing quilter!!!
And another adorable cottage!

Mandalin said...

Lovin' your interviews honey! And looking forward to being back in Oz soon....

Queen Of The Armchair aka Dzintra Stitcheries said...

Fantastic post Rachael and stunning quilts....Can you believe I learnt quilting in the Mountains when we there and used sandpaper as well...I didn't do it for a long time and then picked it up again later...This post brings back so many memories!

We are just back from the Food Show in Sydney...I feel like I have had one big holiday!

Barb said...

This is so fun!
I loved reading about Chris and will have to visit her blog next.
I love her quilts and her motto - that is great.
Her house quilt is so imaginative and wonderful.
I can't wait to see all these houses together!
super cute fun!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Chris does beautiful quilts, wonderful to see and that little house block is so gorgeous!

DH Stitches said...

I'm pretty sure the designer of the little house block is Brenda Groelz. She is widely known in the quilting world as a great designer especially of foundation patterns. She is currently Director of Marketing for Handi Quilter.

✾Jamie Lee Cooley✾ said...

Well, imagine that, when I googled Chris Jurd your interview with her came up! Very informative. Now I'll pop over to see what she's up to on her blog.

Where do you get all that fabulous fabric in Australia? I was under the impression that fabrics like Tula Pink were hard to get in Australia. Do you work in a quilt shop by chance, too? I was just wondering:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...